Saturday, August 31, 2013

My Top 5 Dramas for 2005

Top 5 Dramas for 2005

This are my picks for the top dramas that I've seen from 2005. They are arranged in no particular order as I love them all equally and are not limited to Korean dramas alone. Compare it with your list for 2005:

My Lovely Sam Soon
Plot: Kim Sam Soon is a baker who has a talent in making pastries and cakes. On Christmas Eve, she caught her boyfriend, Min Hyun Woo, cheating on her and breaks up on the same night. On that same night, she accidentally went into the men's restroom and met Hyun Jin Hun, a somewhat callous fellow but sometimes considerate guy. By sheer coincidence, Jin Hun needs a baker for his restaurant Bon Appetit and Sam Soon is unemployed. Sam Soon is hired as the restaurant's chief baker and the two fights like cat and dog. 

Stars Hyun Bin and Kim Sun Ah. I believe this was the first time I saw either of them! I was amazed at the time because Sun Ah's acting was amazing! I was also shocked because at the time, she didn't fit the usual skinny, skinny Korean Miss image that I was sure was a staple in dramas so I was pleasantly surprised. Alas, now she has lost so much weight (after Scent of a Woman), I don't really view her the same anymore.

This was definitely my first introduction to Hyun Bin. I found him amusing as Hyun Jin Hun and simply adorable. This was the role that lead me kicking and screaming to watch other dramas with him in it and ultimately to the popular, Secret Garden.
Engine
Plot: Jiro Kanzaki is an F3000 test driver blessed with acute sensitivity and breathtaking driving techniques. He's a daredevil who feels no fear driving at speeds that even top racers dare not attempt. But unexpected trouble forces this world-famous racer to leave his team and return to Japan for the first time in years. Until he finds a new job as a racer, Jiro decides to stay with his parents. What awaits Jiro there is his hardheaded father, his nagging sister, the 12 children of the foster home his father runs, a snobbish male nurse, and a stubborn female nurse who likes to daydream about her life. 

Stars Kimura Takuya and Kato Koyuki. By the time I'd seen this drama, I'd already began my love affair with Takuya which actually started with his last drama, Priceless. This man is really an amazing actor! If you haven't seen him, he is very versatile and great to watch. Of the ten dramas I've seen starring him, I don't think I've ever been disappointed.
A Love to Kill
Plot: K-1 Fighter Kang Bok-Gu is a man who is dynamic in nature and grew up in a foster home. He falls in love with a woman whom he should not love. It was because of the woman, his emotionally-wounded brother fell off from the rooftop and became a human vegetable. So, his love is forbidden and inevitably tragic. The woman is Cha Eun-Seok who is a TV talent and movie actress. It was not that she jilted his brother on purpose, but upon a basis of misunderstanding, his hatred toward Cha Eun-Seok grows more and more burning.

Stars Rain and Shin Min-Ah. I had already seen both actors in other dramas before this but I can definitely say that this started my love and fascination with the melodrama genre! I really cannot explain why I absolutely gravitate to these type of dramas! They are definitely not for everyone because they tend to get the blood pressure rising, sometimes ridiculous story lines and the endings are not always pretty and neat. 

This drama in particular, fits that bill completely! However, I found this to be Rain's best acting ever! His portrayal of Bok-Gu was so spot-on and this was the drama that made me a fan! You have to remember, I knew nothing about Kpop or any singers other than the ones I'd heard while watching one drama or another. Shin Min-Ah, I'd already fallen for her since watching My Girlfriend is a Gumiho so this just continued to highlight what a consummate actress she is.
Goong
Plot: Goong is a story about young love in face of tradition, politics, and intrigue. In the imaginary world, modern-day Korea is a constitutional monarchy and the Royal Family lives in a grand Palace, the Goong. Story opens with the sudden death of the reigning the King. Faced with the decreasing popularity among the public for the Royalty, a grand wedding for the Crown Prince, Lee Shin (Ji Hoon), is decided to be the best publicity move to improve the image of the Royalty and at the same time prepare Shin for immediate succession. The intended bride? The headstrong, awkward, and sweet spirited Shin Chae Kyung (Eun Hye)that just happens to go to the same exclusive art school. Chae Kyung was betrothed to become the next Crown Princess by her grandfather and Shin's grandfather

Stars Yoon Eun Hye and Joo Ji Hoon. Eun Hye led me kicking and screaming to this favorite among a lot of drama watchers. As this was one of my earlier watched dramas, I think it was this drama that helped me to learn a lot about the Korean culture. I know, a lot of you are probably wondering how but this was one of the earlier dramas that I watched and it was WAY before I had watched my first historical drama! But I must say, I fell hard and fast for Ji Hoon because of this drama. I thought he was absolutely handsome and an interesting actor to watch. His chemistry with Eun Hye was great and showed well on the screen.
Resurrection (Rebirth)
Plot: Ha-Eun’s (Uhm Tae Woong) life has never been easy. At a young age, Ha-Eun’s father died in a car accident. He is forced to move in with Mr. Seo whose gambling problems disrupted the family. Ha-Eun finds solace with his caretaker’s daughter, Eun-Ha (Ha Jin-Min). With only a high school education, the bright youngster follows his dreams of joining the police force. After many years of believing his father’s death was an accident, he finds himself facing his own questions about the past. Ha-Eun tracks down his twin brother, who he had believed to have died years ago, and the two share a short reunion.

Stars Uhm Tae-Woong and Han Ji-Min. What led me to watch this drama was a recommendation from a twitter friend as we were watching The Equator Man and waiting for subs. I started this on a Thursday night and was done by Sunday evening (all 24 episodes). Truthfully, I'd never heard of Tae-Woong until I started watching The Equator Man but after completing this drama, I was duly impressed with his acting capability and ability to project his character to the screen.

I have to admit, Jin-Min's role was not the carrying force in this drama. As I have stated before, romance dramas are not my favorite so if I find that the chemistry isn't up to my standards, I generally just dismiss it. Others may feel differently so don't go by my opinion; however, overall, this was a well acted and played drama from start to finish. Okay, let me rephrase that; from start to almost the ending. This was one ending, I just didn't care for but again, that is me.

So What Are Your Top 5 for 2005?
Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment