Thursday, May 23, 2013

Things that Make You Go Hmmm Moment-I Summon You, Gold! Complicated Family Relationships!!

I Summon You, Gold!
Some Seriously Complicated Relationships
by Korean Standards

**SPOILERS Galore if you are not watching**

See What I'm Watching for more information on this drama
Let's get one thing straight, I absolutely LOVE this drama!! But as I was sitting here watching episodes 13 and 14, I had this epiphany of realization: Man, these are some seriously complicated relationships! I started thinking back to all of the dramas that I've watched. From time to time, you encounter some relationships that make you think (Gloria, still the worse father ever or A Hundred Year Inheritance with the mother-in-law from HELL) but I think I've met my match with I Summon You, Gold! 
Normally, you watch a drama and there is one family you wonder about but this has got to be the first time that I'm questioning ALL of the family dynamics.  Let's start with the least offenders: Jung Family. We have Grandpa Jung and his wife, Kim Pil-Nyeo. She wants to divorce her husband simply to make her eldest daughter-in-law and her mother suffer. Yes, I'm not kidding!! This woman puts the b in bitch! I absolutely love the actress playing the mother-in-law so to see her in this role is a treat! And I thoroughly hate her!!
She is driving Shim-Du's mother, Choi Gwang-Soon out of the house because these two cannot exist in the same space (like the movie Time-Cop) and poor Shim-Du is minutes away from a complete mental breakdown! Not only does she have to contend with her mother-in-law but to add insult to injury, her sister-in-law, Haeng-Ja wants to dump the father-in-law, Papa Jung, on her lap too! Damn, that woman is selfish!
Plus, we cannot forget the son, Mong-Kyu. What's the deal with him? He sees how much his mother is suffering and dealing with the family issues but he is way, way too selfish! Damn, go to work! What's wrong with taking a job your father helps you get? Work there for awhile and then look for something else. Someone is going to have to explain this to me! I don't get what the problem is.
And now to the worse offenders; the Park Family.  This family puts the d in dysfunctional! I've seen my share of mistresses (or second wives) shown in dramas, but this is first time dealing with not one but two! Even though I dislike them both because of what they did to Hyun-soo's mother, I actually have some sympathy for Min Young-Ae (Hyuntae's mother). Not only is she basically not allowed to interact with her son (even though he does), she now is banned from having a relationship with her own daughter-in-law, Mong-Hyun by the resident 'wife', Deok-Hee.
Poor Mong-Hyun has to sneak around and lie to see her mother-in-law! Deok-Hee has already told her not to see her or talk to her. It makes no sense to me whatsoever. I applauded Mong-Hyun when she wanted to start a relationship with her but she truly is between a rock and a hard place right now. And we know she will constantly be put in this bad situation because Deok-Hee obviously rules everybody, including her common-law husband, Park Soon-Sang; a useless man who thinks nothing about pitting one son against the other!
Let's spend some time with Mong-Hee and Hyun-Soo. Why is this relationship difficult? Well, it's obvious to us viewers that Mong-Hee and Yoona (Hyun-soo's ex-wife) are related. So, the question that comes to my mind is how is this going to be resolved? 
Damn, in the drama, A Thousand Kisses, they made such a big thing about cousins marrying sisters and mother being mother-in-law to their own daughter, how in the HELL are they going to resolve one sister having a relationship with another sister's ex-husband? Here in the USA, it's probably not as big of a deal but time and time again, I've noticed that these relationships are frowned upon in the Korean culture. So I am really curious how the writers are going to get around this. This will be interesting.
 
Now let's spend some time with our favorite couple, Mong Hyun and Hyuntae. I still shake my head sometime wondering why she married a man who admits to being in love (or is he) with another woman for 5 years! 
The scenes when Young-Ae (Hyuntae's mother) and Mong-Hyun confronted Hyuntae's girlfriend were priceless. I wanted to jump into the screen and pull her hair too along with Young-Ae. She did all mothers proud at that moment and it was then that I started to like her a little bit more! The things that girl said to them was unforgivable! She was lucky it was not me because she sure wouldn't have walked out on her own two feet!
I still cannot wrap my head around this relationship between Mong-Hyun and Hyuntae; however, starting with episode 13, I see there is some hope! Hyuntae is slowly being affected by Mong-Hyun. After months of sleeping like siblings in the same bed, now he wants to sleep on the floor? Yes, Mong Hyun, I'd smile too as he is obviously seeing you in a new light!
Hyuntae's little speech during their 'date' at the lake was telling! He said he does not like complications! So now Mong-Hyun is a complication? There is hope for this relationship and I hope to see more change next week!

So what are your thought? Are you watching? If not, you SHOULD!






 
  

2 comments:

  1. so happy to have found your blog I thought I was the only person watching I summon u're gold, since I haven't found any blogs commenting or recaping this drama...love the plot as you watch each episode you keep trying to figure how the main couple is going to overcome all the obstacles coming they're way....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this show and it just keep getting more and complicated. Have you seen the recent episodes? Poor Hyuntae and his mother. Me, I wouldn't have a problem calling the cops! That girl has serious issues! I'm not recapping but I will post thoughts from time to time.

      Delete