Sunday, March 16, 2014

No Time? Try A K-Drama Short!

If Real Life Gets In The Way of Your Drama Time? 
Try A K-Drama Short!

I know a lot of us don't have time for the week to week or even the weekend dramas. Real life always gets you down and can interfere with your little time you have for entertainment. Here are some of the short dramas (4 and under episodes) that I've enjoyed in the last couple of years. I call these my "filler" dramas. It wasn't until I'd been watching dramas for a couple of years before I knew they even existed. I was under the impression that dramas were no less than 16 episodes. Imagine my surprise! If you haven't seen these dramas, they come highly recommended: FROM ME!!

Holyland
Synopsis:
‘Holyland’ is a story about a high school student who doesn’t fit in at school or at home and spends endless nights rebelling against society in the streets, picks up boxing and begins to learn his worth, picking up love and friendship along the way.. Holyland is a remake directed by Park Gi Hyung, who previously directed ‘Whispering Corridors’ and ‘Gangster High’.

Stars:
Shin Dong Ho as Kang Yu
Hoon as Tae Sik
Yoon Bong Gil as Park Cheol Woong
Sung Woong as Sang Ho
Joo Da Young as Sang Mi

Episodes: 4, 60 min. each

Rating: 

My Thoughts:
I don't know one KPop group from another so when I watched this, it was simply for my enjoyment and not because of U-Kiss (still don't know who they are, sadly). In ways, it reminded me of the short drama called Fight and also the US Movie, Fight Club; however, there was not a group of people, just one. I like it! Maybe it's the me who likes violence but it was a deep story. When the main character found himself so into the violence that he really could not stop, that's when it really got interesting. Definitely a different take on the causal effects of bullying!

Ma Boy
Synopsis:
The first high teen drama presented by Tooniverse. Geu Rim (Kim So Hyun) is a student at an arts high school who dreams of becoming a pop singer. At school She gets a new roommate, Irene (Sun Woong) who’s actually a boy. Irena’s persona is a pretty Female CF star and his actual name is Hyun Woo.

Stars:
Kim So Hyun as Jang Geu Rim
Sun Woong as Irene/Hyun Woo
Min Hoo as Tae Joon

Episodes: 3, 60 min. each

Rating:

My Thoughts:
When I first heard about this drama, I was excited! I always liked the gender-bender/flipped dramas. But this one was different. For once it was a guy instead of a girl and I was really curious to see how it would work. And boy did it!! Sun Woong's portrayal was not only believable but amazingly accurate! Even I would have been fooled as long as he didn't speak! I liked the fact that I was watching a High School drama (rare for me) and totally enjoying it! I loved the comedy as well as the characters. The progression of the story was sufficient for the time and it actually felt complete at the end. It really was a refreshing story.
Twenty Years Old
Synopsis:
Two twenty year olds, Kim Hye Rim and Lee Ki Kwang, who attended the same middle school, meet again coincidentally after many years as a college student and an idol group member. Lee Ki Kwang is a member of popular idol group falls in love with Kim Hye Rim, his old friend from same middle school who has never dated before, as the two try to keep their love a secret from the rest of the world.

Stars:
Lee Ki Kwang as Lee Ki Kwang
Lee Da In as Kim Hye Rim

Episodes: 4, 20 min. each

Ratings: 

My Thoughts:
Again, I don't know one idol actor from another! As I watched this on Viki, the fangirling was in high mode so I had to look up who Ki Kwang was (I admit it! I know nothing about K-Pop). What I liked about this drama, even though it was short, sweet and straight to the point; I totally understood why stars don't date and if they do, keep it a secret! This little drama short was an eye-opener for me. I really think you got to see what some poor, unsuspecting girl-friend of a star goes through. The romance was sweet and cute and the love story was definitely there. Hey, we even got a kiss!! In a drama totaling 80 minutes from start to finish, that is a drama miracle!
Killer Girl K
Synopsis:
Cha Yeon Jin is a high school girl whose outwardly normal existence and reticent character masks her true identity: she is a professional assassin who is seeking out her biological father in order to avenge her mother. 

Stars:
Han Groo as Cha Yeon Jin
Kim Jeong Tae as Yoo Seong-ho
Jeon Mi Seon as Jang In-sook

Episodes: 3, 60 min. each

Rating:

My Thoughts:
If you want to see a female in a seriously stupendous action role; this is for you! I was simply blown away with Han Groo; especially with the fact that this was her first role and she was so young! The acting; professionally done; the supporting cast; blew me away also. Kim Jeong-Tae was tremendous in the role and made me a believer for the second time of his acting capability! If you have not seen this and warning, there is a lot of violence, this is for you!! Han Groo is now on my watch list of up and coming young actors! Excellent! Excellent! Excellent!

What are some of your favorite drama short? 
Let me know, I'm always looking for that next "filler"!




2 comments:

  1. I started watching Mimi, but it didn't hold my attention. I dropped it after ep. 2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. II was surprised, I really enjoyed Girl K, what a tight well done drama!

    ReplyDelete