Saturday, September 14, 2013

My Top 5 Dramas for 2009

Top 5 Dramas for 2009

These are my picks for the top dramas that I've seen from 2009. Again, they are not arranged in no particular order as I love them all equally and are not limited to Korean dramas alone. Compare it with your list for 2009:
Shining Inheritance
Stars Han Hyo JooLee Seung GiBae Su Bin, and Moon Chae Won. Go Eun Sung's life is similar to Cinderella's. After her father died, her step-mother, Baek Sung Hee, took away all of her assets and her younger brother, Eun Woo, suddenly disappears without a trace. Despite this, Eun Sung preservers and works really hard to fulfill her dreams. When the CEO of a food company, Jang Sook Ja, suffers amnesia and can't remember who she is Eun Sung takes her in. However, Eun Sung does not know that she is the grandmother of Sun Woo Hwan, the man who she switched bags with at the airport. How will their constant bickering lead them to realize that they care more about each other than they let on?

There were so many actors introduced to me for the first time! Well, the entire main cast were new to me when I watched this. LSG with his smile was an instant love affair! Don't get me started on instantly crushing and suffering from second lead syndrome with Bae Su Bin! I won't forget the ladies as I had never seen any of them before and well, most impressive was definitely Moon Chae Won as the super needy, Yoo Seung Mi. I definitely won't forget the supporting cast, especially Kim Mi Sook as Park Seong Hee, the mother from hell and one of my favorite grandmothers, Ban Hyo Jung. All in all, a good drama from this year.
Jin
Stars Osawa Takao and Ayase Haruka. The story follows a brain surgeon named, Minakata Jin, who has spent the last two years in anguish, as his fiancee lies in a vegetative state after an operation he performed. One day, he faints at the hospital and awakens to find himself transported back in time to the Edo period. He is soon attacked by a samurai, but he escapes with the help of a man named Kyotaro. Kyotaro suffers a serious injury to the head while trying to protect him, but Jin manages to save his life despite a lack of proper medical equipment. Because of that, Kyotaro's sister Saki begins taking an interest in Jin and becomes his assistant. Meanwhile, Jin is determined to find a way back to the present.

I remember I started this Japanese version around the middle of the Time Slip Dr. Jin because people kept saying, you have to see the original. I kept thinking (and hoping) that it wouldn't be as horrible as the Korean version which if it wasn't for the funny as hell commentary while watching on Viki, I would have abandoned ship WAY before the ending! Thank you Viki commenters!. 

But back to this drama! Talk about compare and contrast?! These two dramas were so different but yet so much the same when it came to the basic story line. Where the Korean version failed miserably in acting; this excelled. Where the Korean version was so horribly executed; the Japanese version was near perfect! This was the first time seeing Osawa Takao but my 2-3 time seeing Ayase Haruka. Their portrayal of Jin and Saki were so spot on, I went on to watch the subsequent Jin 2 immediately.
You're Beautiful
Stars Jang Geun Suk and Park Shin Hye. The management company of the idol group A.N.JELL insisted on adding a new singer to the group as the lead vocal, Tae Kyung's voice was hurting. However,the new member, Mi Nam, had to go to the States to repair a botched eye job just before signing the contract. His agent came up with the idea of having his twin sister, Mi Nyu,to stand in for him and pretend that she was her brother. The two of them grew up in an orphanage and Mi Nyu, who was all set to become a nun, agreed to this charade as she didn't want to spoil her brother's chance of fame which would make it easier to look for their mother.

Sometimes I watch a drama and I have no idea why I like it! Is it the music? Characters? Or am I just having fun watching it? Well, You're Beautiful is definitely in that category. Not likely that I will watch again but I do remember really enjoying it when I did. And of course it introduced me to Jang Geun Suk, Park Shin Hye and Jung Yong Hwa and did go on to watch their other works (admittedly, there will be nothing that will drag me to watch JGS's Beautiful Man if it ever gets released, I do have my limits!)
Autumn's Concerto
Stars Wu VannessAn Ady and Bin Xiao Xiao. Ren Guang Xi, a cocky law student, seems to lead the perfect life. He's the sole successor to a huge and famous business and a talented ice hockey player. But in reality, his lonely life lacks joy, laughter and motivation. That is until he meets Liang Mu Cheng, the new bento seller at his school canteen. Although orphaned at a young age, Mu Cheng does not let her past affect her and lives life with great passion and determination. A harmless bet brings the two together and what happens next will change their relationship.

This drama, for me, was simply amazing! There were parts of the story line that had me twisted in knots and wishing that the writer had done it a different way but what I remember most about this drama is being totally blown away by a little 5-6 year old (at the time) named Bin Xiao Xiao. Sure, I had seen many child actors before in other dramas but this was the first time seeing a child having such a prominent speaking role! When Xiao Xiao cried, I cried, when he laughed, I laughed. His ability to project his emotions in a scene were stunning! I once read that during some of the scenes that the director became concerned because he was so drawn into his role.

This was my first introduction to Vanness and I must say, I still like this American born actor. As Ren Guang Xi, I felt his pain and definitely understood his anger through most of the drama. An Ady as Liang Mu Cheng was simply the most annoying character ever!! But that is a good sign of acting when even the lead actor can annoy you to no end. This was my first TwDrama marathon drama that I actually liked and finished!!
Boys Over Flowers
Stars Lee Min Ho, Koo Hye Sun, Kim Bum, Kim Hyun Joongand Kim Joon. Set at a famous high school for the super-wealthy, this is a puppy love story centered on a poor girl and the F4 gang of rich kids headed by the rough and fearless Jun-pyo Koo (Lee Min Ho). Geum Jan-Di (Koo Hye Sun) is a girl from a poor family but has an unrivaled sense of optimism and drive and is by chance admitted to a prestigious private high school.
There she meets the infamous group of four astonishingly good looking and rich boys who are known as F4. 

The group's leader is Koo Jun-Pyo, who is a spoiled heir to world-leading conglomerate Shinhwa. He is joined by mysterious and breathlessly handsome Yun Ji-Hu (Kim Hyun Joong), So Lee-Jeong (Kim Bum), and Song Woo-Bin (Kim Joon). Their love story moves from Seoul to New Caledonia to Macau.

Before you say it, I'll say it: this is not a great drama; hell, it wasn't even a very good drama but what it was: the first drama EVER that I watched! We never forget our first and for that reason, I will never forget this drama. It introduced me to the fellows! I walked away with big love for two in particular: Kim Bum and Kim Hyun Joong! Sure, I liked Lee Min Ho and have seen him in everything he's been in but those two are the ones that won my heart. Poor, poor Kim Joon is the only ignored F4 member! Sadly missing in dramas and movies!  Yes, before you say it, I didn't walk away a fan of Koo Hye Sun. As a matter of fact, I don't think I've watched her in anything since (tried to watch Absolute Boyfriend, didn't get far). Haven't figured out what the disconnect is with me and her.


However, I will forever be thankful for this drama as it introduced me to the world of Korean dramas and I haven't left it since (maybe this is actually a curse!)!



So What Are Your Top 5 for 2009?
Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment